Thursday, April 26th


WRITING GROUPS
REVISE PIECE
Publish to Kidblog

Metaphors-Today we will explore metaphors and write several.  We will then write a poem using an extended metaphor.  

Metaphors in Music

Finish these

Love is....
Hate is....
Jealousy is....
Anger is....
School is....
Creative writing is....
Pick your own....

Extended Metaphor


Definition: A metaphor that continues over multiple sentences, and that is sometimes extended throughout an entire work.

Why Writers Use it: Extended metaphors allow writers to draw a larger comparison between two things or ideas. In rhetoric, they allow the audience to visualize a complex idea in a memorable way or tangible. They highlight a comparison in a more intense way than simple metaphors or similes.
If someone was unloving, you could simply say that their heart was ice. But if you wanted to really drive home the point, you might say, “Their heart was icy, their blood frosty, their ventricles filled with icicles, their words turning to ice cubes that would chill an already chilly iced tea.” This example also elucidates the dangers of extended metaphor. When used poorly, extended metaphors can be a little much.

A Famous Example from my Buddy, Bill:

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.”
-Shakespeare’s As You Like It

Samples about Family Written by Students (Not Mine):

Metaphor for a Family
My family lives inside a medicine chest:
Dad is the super-size band aid, strong and powerful but not always effective in a crisis.
Mom is the middle-size tweezer,
which picks and pokes and pinches.
David is the single small aspirin on the third shelf, sometimes ignored.
Muffin, the sheep dog,is a round cotton ball, stained and dirty,
that pops off the shelf and bounces in my way as I open the door.
And I am the wood and glue which hold us all together with my love.
Fifth of July
My family is an expired firecracker
set off by the blowtorch of divorce.
We lay scattered in many directions.
My father is the wick, badly burnt still glowing softly.
My mother is the blackened paper, fluttering down,
blowing this way and that, unsure where to land.
My sister is the fallen, colorful parachute, lying in a tangled knot,
unable to see the beauty she holds.
My brother is the fresh, untouched powder that was protected from the flame.
And I,
I am the singed outside papers, curled away from everything,
silently cursing the blowtorch.

Katie Perry Firework video-Look for the extended metaphor.  What does it really mean?

Figurative language video

You will write your own extended metaphor poem about on e of the following:

You
Your family
A loved one
Your summer
Your sixth grade year
OR?

Requirements:

  1. Be creative
  2. Make it personal
  3. Powerful diction
  4. Really develop your metaphor

STUDENT SAMPLES (Written in one period by my students)


My 7th grade year was like the ocean.
I began with pale, white skin, untouched by influential people.
The water was cold, waves smacking my legs.
I almost stepped out of the water but decided to keep pushing through deeper into the ocean
Eventually I got used to the water, no longer feeling cold to me
Once I thought everything was okay, a huge wave toppled over me, submerging me
I was in pain, struggling to get air
Right before giving up, a hand comes and reaches down for me, pulling me above sea level, saving me.
I was no longer alone in this
I was surrounded by people that I now love
I love them for saving me, for warning me for the oncoming waves
The water is now smooth again
As I walk out of the water after a long adventure of ups and downs
My skin is golden, kissed by the sun
I am victorious.

Taylor Niendorf
     
My 7th grade year was a jungle.
I staggered through the vines, tripping at every turn.
It became easier, but it was hard to adjust.
Running, panicking, something was chasing me into the dark caverns of math class.
Piles and piles of horrid paper flooded my way,
making it hard to breathe.
I almost gave up, numbers and letters telling whether or not I would pass or fail my journey.
But as I entered the joy of history class things became chaotic.
Screams and roars, fill the air around me as we venture through the year,
and teachers screech and throw obstacles from every which way.   
I’m struggling, but I can see the end.
As I run to the freedom that awaits me, I am swallowed once again.
The numbers and letters are back but are much more aggressive and intimidating.
I learn to control them, and a sudden clearing appears.
I have made it out, my life ever more complete than before.

Alex Wood
Writing Groups
Revise your piece
Post to Kidblog
Brainstorm list of characters and conflicts
Choose a conflict.  Choose two characters. You will write from both character's point of view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, June 5th

Tuesday, August 29th

Thursday, February 22nd